Villa Melzi - Bellagio
Visit lake Como from the lake, berths to stop
Villa Melzi was born as a summer residence in Bellagio of Francesco Melzi d’Eril, vice-president of the Italian republic at the time of Napoleon (1801 – 1803). The project, commissioned to the famous architect Giocondo Albertolli, was executed between 1808 and 1810.
The building is a perfect expression of neoclassical style and is rounded by enchanting gardens with classical statues and exotic and century aged plants. The walkway to the lake, the road of the plane trees, the chapel overlooking the small harbour of Loppia, the museum in the orangery aside the villa, are all inspired by elegant and balanced canons, typical of the neoclassical art. An authentic romantic spirit comes from the groups of giant rhododendrons and from the azaleas spread all around the garden, towards the idyllic Japanese style lake.
Here Litzst and Stendhal took inspiration for their oeuvres, as long as they were guests of the villa, together with important people of culture and politics. The house and the garden are national monument, and even if they are private property, they can be visited.
Thev villa has one ancient history, already of property of Sfondrati family in 1533, it passed of property to conte Alessandro Serbelloni was dedicated spirit and body for him.
The external aspect, wide but of simple lines, it was not modified; the inside accurately was decorated, from the ceilings to time and cassettoni, to the pictures and objects of Serbelloni duca, however more than of the villa one was interested of the immense park, spending exorbitant figures, it made to construct carrozzabili tracks, tree-lined avenues, paths for an extension of approximately 18 KM. Then duca was died to Bellagio, in 1826, the villa passed at his sons, Giovan Battista and Ferdinand, it fell in progressive disuse after the passing of this last and eredi, to leave from the 1870 the property to Antonio Mella affittarono who of it made one dependency of the Hotel Great Bretagne; finally in 1907 they will sell it to a Swiss socità that of it made the Serbelloni Hotel.
The hotel came bought from prince Ella Walker that left it foundation in 1959 in inheritance the Rockefeller.